Specialized Nurse Practitioner
$ Min. 29,41$ / h
Max. 52,44$ / h
Specialized nurse practitioners (SNPs) have training and advanced experience in nursing. They are responsible for all aspects of a person’s health:
- Physical and mental health needs
- Gathering a family’s health history
- Assessing how an illness affects the daily life of a patient and his or her family
- Giving advice on healthy living and ways to manage chronic illness
SNPs work with the attending physician to identify health problems and establish care and treatment priorities. In close collaboration, they assist in the follow-up of diagnosed patients. SNPs provide clinical support to nurses and other healthcare professionals. They act as educators and researchers that other members of the care team can consult. They help design, apply and evaluate programs related to their specialty. They contribute to the development and implementation of educational programs for patients, their loved ones, as well as for groups of people.
SNPs contribute to the establishment and evaluation of medical- and nursing-care regulations and the development of training programs for nursing staff. They conduct, and collaborate in, nursing-care research and medical clinical research. In addition to their profession-specific responsibilities, SNPs may exercise 5 additional activities usually reserved for physicians:
- Prescription of drugs and other substances
- Prescription of diagnostic tests
- Prescription of medical treatments
- Use of diagnostic techniques that are invasive or present a risk of injury
- Use of medical techniques or treatments or applications that are invasive or present a risk of injury
SNPs generally work in one of the following specialties:
- Primary care
SNPs must hold a graduate degree in their elected specialty.
In Québec, degrees are offered in 5 universities:
- Université de Montréal (in French only)
- Université de Sherbrooke (in French only)
- Université du Québec en Abitibi-Témiscamingue (UQAT) (joint program with McGill University)
- Université Laval (in French only)
- McGill University
The Ministère de la Santé et des Services Sociaux offers scholarships as part of its Programme d'intéressement pour l'implantation du rôle de l’infirmière praticienne spécialisée et de l'infirmier praticien spécialisé en cardiologie, en néonatalogie, en néphrologie et en soins de première ligne (incentive program for specialized nurse practitioners specializing in cardiology, neonatology, nephrology and primary care).
In order to practise, SNPs must also pass the Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (OIIQ) exam.
Scholarships in nursing for specialized nurse practitioners are offered to students under the scholarship program of the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux. For more information, see Bourses en soins infirmiers pour les infirmières praticiennes spécialisées page (in French only).
- Must be a good communicator and listener
- Must be responsible and organized
- Must enjoy working in a team with colleagues and other professionals
- Must have excellent initiative and be able to work autonomously
- Must have good summarizing and analytical skills
- Must know how to observe and analyze situations and people
- Must love contact with the public
- Must manage stress well
Personality Type (RIASEC)SIA
- S - Prefers to be in contact with people and to help them
- I - Prefers studying, understanding and solving problems
- A - Prefers completing creative tasks
Specialized nurse practitioners work in hospitals.
- Association des infirmières praticiennes spécialisées du Québec (in French only)
- Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (in French only)
- Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses - Emploi-Québec (in French only)
- Vidéo : Infirmière praticienne spécialisée – Ordre des infirmières et infirmiers du Québec (in French only)
- Video: Testimony of a specialized nurse practitioner – ULSanté (in French only)
- Video: Testimony of a specialized nurse practitioner – Santé Outaouais (in French only)