Health and Social Services Assistant
$ Min. 19,18$ / h
Max. 21,06$ / h
Health and social services assistants go to the homes of people experiencing a loss of autonomy to help them or their families accomplish daily activities and domestic tasks. They help facilitate such people’s integration into individual and community activities.
The job of a health and social services assistant includes taking care of people’s hygiene, well-being and comfort, watching over them and assisting with their general needs. They install prescribed devices and offer the specific care for which they have been trained. Social and human service assistants may be called upon to cook meals and carry out domestic tasks.
Social and human service assistant training programs are offered in most regions in Québec.
- Must be a good communicator and listener
- Must be in great physical condition
- Must be responsible and organized
- Must enjoy physical work and handling (medical) instruments
- Must have excellent initiative and be able to work autonomously
Personality Type (RIASEC)SRE
- S - Prefers to be in contact with people and to help them
- R - Prefers practical work and handling tools
- E - Prefers supervising, making decisions and managing, influencing and persuading others
Health and social services assistants work in local community social service centres (CLSCs).
- Association des auxiliaires familiales et sociales du Québec (in French only)
- Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association
- Home Support Workers – Sauve des vies (in French only)
- Homemakers, Housekeepers and Related Occupations – Emploi-Québec (in French only)
- Video: Realities of the profession – Social and Human Services Assistant – Emploi Santé Montréal (in French only)
- Visiting Homemakers, Housekeepers and Related occupations – Heading for Success